Whilst pondering what to cook for ‘Chap Goh Meh’ lunch recently, I stumbled upon this recipe. Its a very simple recipe, its kinda like a fusion between east and west.
21 big prawns, shelled and deveined
1 Lemon (juiced)
1 clove of garlic (minced)
1 handful of Shitake/ Oyster mushrooms ( 2 handfuls if you have small hands
2 tbsp Butter
2 tbsp Olive oil
salt and pepper
1. Heat butter in the pan and when melted add in olive oil and garlic. Once the garlic has browned add in the mushrooms and lemon juice.
* DO NOT pour in all the lemon juice at once because it will be too sour. Taste the sauce as you pour in the juice so you know how sour you want it to be. If it is too sour, add in abit of water and some sugar to balance it out.
2. Remove from heat when the mushrooms have gone soft . (Approx 2 mins on High)
1. Heat olive oil and garlic in pan, until garlic has browned.
2. Add in the prawns and cook on High for 1 min stirring several times.
* DO NOT overcook the prawns because they will dry up and the meat won’t be able to absorp the sauce.
3. Mix the sauce with the prawns and stir fry until both have fully mixed. Add in the basil leaves towards the end to fully get the basil flavour.
4. Lastly, add salt and peppert to taste.
5. Garnish with a sprig of basil leaves, and its ready to serve.
* Basil can be substituted with parsley.